Confiscation crimes in Miami | Criminal defense attorney in Miami


Miami Confiscation Lawyer

 Miami Confiscation Lawyer

Police officers often take or confiscate cash from people even if they do not have enough evidence to prove that the money comes from illegal activities. This usually happens when a person carries more than $ 10,000 in cash, but it is also common with sums of money greater than $ 1,000.

The most important thing you should do if the police confiscate money or property, is not to say go.

These are some important reminders:

  • Do not explain where the money or property comes from
  • Do not explain who the owner is
  • Do not sign any document
  • Simply abide by your right to remain silent

Remember, when dealing with the police, silence is gold!

The police will often try to avoid the confiscation process by having people sign a document stating that the property or cash does not belong to them. Agents often threaten to arrest people to get them to deny ownership of the property or money. If you are the victim of a confiscation, contact a criminal defense attorney in Miami immediately to begin the legal process of recovering your money and property.

Confiscation proceedings in Florida


The lawyer you choose to represent you can explain to the police where the money comes from or who owns a property. Police officers must give you a notice of the seizure of money or property within 45 days of the confiscation. When the police give you this notice, you or your lawyer must send them a written response by certified mail within 15 days.

Once the police receive the response, you have 10 business days to establish a special hearing, called a contentious hearing to demonstrate the possible cause. At this hearing, the attorney for the police officer must show the judge sufficient evidence to show that the money or property was confiscated because it was related to criminal activities. If not, the money or property must be returned immediately. If the judge does not find probable cause, the police may keep the confiscated property until the civil forfeiture case ends with a judgment issued by the court. As in any other criminal defense case, you are entitled to a jury trial when the government confiscates your money or property.

Protect what is rightfully yours with the help of attorney Thomas Mote

Protect what is rightfully yours with the help of attorney Thomas Mote

Attorney Thomas Mote has extensive experience handling criminal forfeiture proceedings and civil forfeiture proceedings in Florida. Thomas Mote can devise strategies to quickly recover his money or property and, in many circumstances, we handle the case without the client paying anything in advance until the money is returned.

Let me put your 16 years of experience to work for you. Contact him today to work with the qualified and experienced lawyer you need for your confiscation case.